I found that Ruth's gray piece worked well as a foundation for everything else. I began by layering a piece of the chiffon on top of the gray with a scrap of white flannel between. (I chose an area of the chiffon that had silver stitching on it). These I quilted together with diagonal lines.
| Chiffon quilted onto gray cotton. I cut some circles out of this quilted piece. |
| I stitched a tuck down the centre of the leaf to give it a bit of shape. |
The centre of the flower was formed by a Suffolk Puff (North Americans would call it a yo-yo) from another piece of Julie's fabric. I added some of Miriam's beads around the centre.
Lesley's fabric was used for a piece of bias tubing which I tucked beneath the flower centre. I added little "bells" to the ends using the gray cotton -- that was to make sure all my items showed on the front of the piece.
I wasn't sure how that the elephant really fit in with all of this, but I slid him onto the bias tubing before it was stitched into place. I think if anyone seems puzzled and asks, "An elephant?" I will just give a big smile and say, "Yes!"
| Louisa's "Elephant Flower" pin. |
This is a fun piece, Louisa! Just right for a quilting teacher to wear to her class. . . looks perfect on the blue cardigan, I think!
ReplyDeleteThis is so delightful and I think 'Elephant' looks perfectly at home! You've made all the contributions work so well together. superb!
ReplyDeleteI like the subtle 3D quality you gave the petals and leaf with pleats and tucks. And that was a good use of the silver thread decoration on the green fabric.
ReplyDelete