Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Louisa's Flower Project

It's a great time to be thinking about flowers.  Everything is still very end-of-winter here, and the current world news is even gloomier!

I was able to use our Flowers project to satisfy several different requirements.

I had purchased a teapot at a yard sale and my old tea cosy was not the right size for it.  I knew what "useful" thing I could make!
My pretty new teapot looks great on the wooden trivet Jerry made.  But it needs a cosy to keep the contents warm!
 We had been talking about Colour Theory for Quilters at the Scrappy Club.  We made colour wheels.  The next month's project was to make something using colours next to each other on the colour wheel.  I chose yellow, yellow-green, green.
Fabrics selected to match colour swatches.  Who knew that "olive" is really  "dark yellow"?-- no wonder that fabric wouldn't fit when I tried to put it with greens!


I cut strips of my fabrics and made a simple tea cosy. Showed it to my group and everyone was quite impressed with my Analogous Colour Scheme.



The lining is made from the remains of a tablecloth that Mum used to put on the round wooden table in the living room.  (I think the rest of this cloth was used as the backing for a project Kathy made.)


The next month at Scrappy Club we needed a Complementary Colour Scheme.  So I tacked the bright flowers onto the tea cosy -- perfect!  It keeps the tea nice and warm, too!

My Useful Flower Tea Cosy.  That 3-D rose is not a very useful shape -- I can see it might need a few more stitches to hold it in place.  


3 comments:

  1. Amazing to see the flowery teapot inside the tea cozy, Louisa -- they certainly fit well together with the spring theme! Just noticing how the random green strips in the cozy give the impression of flower stems. Like having fresh flowers on your table. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also meant to say how creative to use Ruth's strip of lace with the quilted strips of fabric. Adds lovely texture and contributes subtly to the flower theme! I really love this tea cozy. (", )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Louisa, I like it before the addition of the flowers, the colous work so well together...BUT with the flowers it comes alive! Brilliant

    ReplyDelete